Compliance Summary
Compliance Summary Tool
Transportation Modes
Service Functions
All Topics
Please note: This summary is provided to help you understand the regulations. Consult the references provided for links to the full text of the regulations.

Alternative Fuels -- State Regulations for Rhode Island

This page contains selected data from the Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC) at the U. S. Department of Energy. Additional details and the latest updates may be found at the AFDC summary page for Rhode Island.

Vehicle Acquisition

All vehicles (emissions standards mandate)

The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management has adopted California's LEV regulations applicable to passenger vehicles, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty vehicles, as set forth in Title 13 of the California Code of Regulations. Vehicles offered for sale or lease, imported, delivered, or registered in the state must meet California exhaust and greenhouse gas emissions standards. (Reference Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management Regulation No. 37)

State agency vehicles

To reduce fuel consumption and pollution emissions, and purchase vehicles that provide the best value on a lifecycle cost basis, the state must take the following actions:At least 75% of state motor vehicle acquisitions must be AFVs, and the remaining 25% must be HEVs to the greatest extent possible;All new light-duty trucks in the state fleet must achieve a minimum city fuel economy of 19 miles per gallon (mpg) and achieve at least a Low Emission Vehicle certification, and all new passenger vehicles in the state fleet must achieve a minimum city fuel economy of 23 mpg;All state agencies must purchase the most economical, fuel-efficient, and lowest emissions vehicles appropriate to meet any needed requirements and discourage the purchase of sport utility vehicles;All state agencies must purchase low rolling resistance tires with superior tread life for state vehicles when possible; andAll state vehicles must be maintained according to manufacturer specifications, including specified tire pressures and ratings.The state must also prepare an annual report to the governor on compliance with these goals. (Reference Executive Order 05-13 (PDF), 2005)


Tax Exemption (biodiesel)

Biodiesel is exempt from the $0.30 per gallon state motor fuel tax. Biodiesel may be blended with other fuel for use in motor vehicles, but only the biodiesel portion of the blended fuel is tax exempt. Biodiesel is defined as fuel that is derived from vegetable oils or animal fats and conforms to ASTM D6751 specifications for use in diesel engines and results in employment at a manufacturing facility for biodiesel fuel. (Reference Rhode Island General Laws 31-36-1)